Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Man of Steel Rant



Just wanted to start out by saying I really did enjoy the film but here is a few points I need to talk about.

I've seen the movie twice now, once at midnight and again on Saturday.  I enjoyed the movie and hoping that the we will get a multi movie arc that will show the growth of Clark into the Superman we all have come to know and love.  

I believe the attempts to make this movie realistic are the source of much of the complaints of the film.  Clark doesn't have the fortress of solitude with all the tech making it possible to just zap away the bad guys, which if we are honest the not kill rule often has some handy technological way out.  Taking the tech out of the equation and having a relentless Zod who won't stop until all of humanity is ash is more then enough for me to see Clark have to make the ultimate choice.  Now Nolan has to give us some movies to give us the growth that Superman really needs to become our guiding light.  Without that and this will turn into a steaming pile of failure in a hurry.

I agree with some statements about the interview scene with Lois in the military bunker.  Clark does come off cocky and me being a data junkie and sometimes tin-foil hat wearer saying he's from Kansas and for how many years is more then enough IMO for the Gov to figure out who he is.  As many times as I turn that scene around in my head it just doesn't fit right or done as well as it could be.  showing that he was trying to make them feel better (cuffs) then breaking them in a show of strength seems almost tacked on.  I'm not saying I know a better way to shoot it, just that it needed polish.  Maybe if the gave it more time and more dialog..

I did read an article where Nolan talks about Zod and the ending.  Zod was originally meant to go back to the Phantom Zone with the rest but it seemed to easy, then they kicked around the idea's of a no other choice scenario.  Nolan and team went to the source and got there input from Superman Comic Writers and the studio pushed for the ending we saw, against Nolan's wishes. 

The ending had zero attention to, and I  don't think i'm wrong here, the BIGGEST DISASTER OUTSIDE OF WW2, the city was smashed to hell!!  You know our country. Clark would be sued and every ambulance chaser wouldn't stop until his real identity was found .. TV would be nonstop .. Fox news would just bury the world in verbal nonsense and endless illogical crap.  The ending bugged me and I know why.  George Bush Jr would talk about the war with a sh*t eating grin on his face constantly, when talking about really bad things you put on frowny face and in the movie the next scene is Clark smiling with ma at pa's grave.. then smiling faces at the daily planet.  Something as simple as a cut to a news feed showing Clark hauling ass at mach two to help in the cleaning and rebuilding efforts with scrolling text listing the super deeds and other good being done to try an offset a horrible situation would have been all I needed.  The time tables on the post-shit-your-pants-the-world-almost-ended and its back to normal life seemed just not right.. How long was the country in shock after 911.. If your shooting for realistic then Nolan missed this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment